Monday, July 23, 2007

A random observation or two

The other day my friend said, “Coffee? A new one by Nescafe. Got just half the caffeine.”

“Half the caffeine? Then please put twice the amount in my mug.”

Why would I want to drink coffee with low caffeine or no caffeine? What is coffee without caffeine? Decaf coffee tastes bad too, so you can’t even say you drink it for the taste of it.

Instant coffee is bad enough. But I do admit I drink the detergent at work because I cannot afford to spend six bucks everyday on real coffee. At work, it is purely for the caffeine.

And today I was working on a program called ‘New Inventors’ on the ABC channel. A man has invented an exhaust fume diverter for horse trailers so that the horses don’t breathe in the vehicle fumes while they are being transported. One of the panelists in the program who are supposed to scrutinize every invention on the show, and examine it from all angles, and generally try to look very intelligent, asks the inventor, “What research is being done on transported horses being affected by carbon monoxide?”

The inventor, a horse-lover, was quiet for a long moment and then said, “Uh...I'm aware of my own research,” and explains a few technical points and concludes with, “But in a nutshell, what common sense would dictate, actually happens in those trailers.” The look on his face told it all.

Do these ‘expert’ panelists really think about the questions they ask? Or are they just filling in the empty space with noise, hoping it sounds like a clever observation? Do we need research to prove every little thing? Is common sense such a disposable trait nowadays?

If that panelist saw me on the road having a fit, he would probably say, “There hasn’t been enough research done on helping Indian females on Australian roads. Better not do anything to help her.”

Sure, trust the researchers. All these years they said vitamin C fights the common cold, and now all of a sudden, nope. Sorry. Throw all those lemons away. New research shows that vitamin C has no significant effect on the common cold.

So, what can cure the common cold? The answer is a lemon.

1 comment:

Anoop George said...

I couldn't agree more with you. The more technology helps us get 'connected', read as tv, print, mobile, etc.., the bigger the need to fill the programming space created by these technological advances. I'd be interested in starting a show on nothing. Something like what Seinfeld did to analyze relationships in the 90s. I'd have a few characters lazing ard, discussing why bartenders and not just computer programmers can suffer from RSI and how bottle openers can be designed to reduce the whiplash effect. You get the drift I hope...