Tuesday, March 08, 2011

One at a time, please

The mind is a fascinating thing, isn't it? Or is it the brain - I don't know where the distinction begins between the two.

You know how they say the two sides of the brain handle different aspects of our thought processes. I just realised yesterday that they throw up their end product simultaneously too, at least with me. Here I was, sitting in the bus thinking about what had happened a week ago, absolutely consumed with a certain grief (What grief, you ask? None of your business, you emotional voyeur). And I was thinking, "This boy standing next to me has one calf fatter than the other. How strange is that?" And both these thoughts were playing out SIMULTANEOUSLY in my head.

How is this possible? Does the brain compete with itself to bring out non-stop editions of breaking news?

"OK, I've got this wonderfully poetic observation on the Aboriginal flag that I'm going to think right now."

"No, wait. Keep that for the next minute, because I've got this terribly logical thought on the North Shore train line delays that I want to let loose first."

I guess usually the two parts of my brain resolve the timing issue amicably, but sometimes - like yesterday - both thoughts just jostle at the door and pop out at once. Which just leaves me feeling really spaced out.

No comments: