Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Designs on your mind

Saw Bunty Aur Babli last night. AAAAHHHH!! I want my money back! I know I am a strange person; I feel tired just listening to a talkative person, like I have run a marathon. I didn't think I would feel so exhausted after watching garish costumes for nearly three hours. Aishwarya Rai was a welcome relief, even if just for a song.

I wish they all would stick to Manish Malhotra. I mean really, this Aki Narula guy is supposed to be such a famous designer, but why that riot of colours (candy stripe salwar??!! rainbow sari with, horrors, a silver sequined blouse!!??) and embarrassingly unflattering cuts for Rani Mukherjee?

I wish these famous guys would restrict unleashing their terrors to the India fashion week, or Lakme fashion week, or whatever it is called. There, after you have paid exorbitant money for the tickets, you probably cannot afford to get shocked and shaken and thoroughly stirred by the costumes. (Who are the people who go for these shows anyway? Masochists?) But I did not pay a hundred and one score hard earned money... well ok, dad's hard earned money, to be assaulted by neon scrunchies and a million bangles and an army of colours doing a free-for-all.

Sure, Suraj Barjatya too loves colour in his movies, but there they are all peace with one another. Pehle aap, pehle aap attitude. And the designs are content staying the background, smiling benignly. Or, Sanjay Leela Bhansali lets the designs do the shouting. The colours take a backstage. The colours are bold but have the right upbringing. A dignified harmony between the two, in both cases. But here in B&B... you get my drift.

Oh, for the good old Yash Chopra days of Chandni and Mohobbatein and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai... is that last one Karan Johar? They all look the same to me.

3 comments:

Sunita said...

Havent seen B&B but saw Parineeta on Friday. I loved it. About the color, design & fashion discussion i stand no chance ...all i can say is do i like it or no .... secondly even if i like it will i wear them or no. when i dont like something ...mostly i have no clue why just that the vibe isnt right :)

Sunita said...

Havent seen B&B but saw Parineeta on Friday. I loved it. About the color, design & fashion discussion i stand no chance ...all i can say is do i like it or no .... secondly even if i like it will i wear them or no. when i dont like something ...mostly i have no clue why just that the vibe isnt right :)

Anonymous said...

hey Soumi

Heard a lot abt you from Suni. Your blogs are good.
I too agree to this. The colors used were very bright but i guess that was just to show that they came from a small town in UP.