Sunday, October 21, 2007

Home is where the showerhead is

Spent a week in lovely Tasmania. It’s a place out of the world.

But was I glad to come back home to my bathroom. I love my bathroom. It’s the best in the world. My shower is a bit temperamental, it’s true. But it was nice to be back fiddling with the knobs all the while. The water has to be just the right pressure or else the flow slows down to a trickle, or else gushes with a force that threatens to peel off your skin. Same with the temperature. Only at a critical pressure is the water a good mix of hot and cold. A degree, nay a second more to the left, and the water scalds you. Similarly in the other direction, and the water is freezing. It is all made even more sublimely complex because there are two knobs to be manipulated. I think I am the only one who loves the whole phenomenon. Showering in my bathroom is probably a daily torture for everyone else.

But as a shayar said,

Kisne jaana hai badalte hue mausam ka misaaj
Usko chaaho to samajh paaoge fitrat uski.

No comments: