Sunday, October 07, 2007

I don’t want to go out

“Go outside for a bit. Do you good.”

“No. It’s too cold out there.”

“No, it’s not. I’m sure it’s not.”

“It is. I did try stepping out earlier. And before that. It is always cold.”

“Perhaps it was yesterday. Look now. It might be better.”

“I know it will not be better. I have tried too many times. Let me just stay in my little room and read a book.”

“But you need fresh air and sunshine.”

“Yes. But there is a bitter draught blowing outside and the sun is too weak. I’d rather just stay here in my bed.”

It went on like this for a long time.

Then one day…

“Um…hello, stranger.”

“Hello. Nice day out here.”

“Perhaps. But I think I’ll stay here in my room and talk to you from my window, if you don’t mind.”

“As you wish. Did you sleep well?”

“Not really. The doctor says I should go outside and get some exercise and build up an appetite. That will help me eat and sleep better. But it is very cold outside.”

“It is not too bad, actually. In fact I passed a fine and cosy café at the last bend. Very quaint, with colourful flowers in window boxes and a little fountain in the courtyard. There are some yummy cakes too.”

“Really?”

Pause.

“Is it too far down the road?”

“Oh no. Just round the bend that you can see if you lean out a bit.”

“Uh, yes. I think I see it.”



“If you came to your doorstep I think you’ll even be able to see the fountain.”

“Alright. I can come up to the door.”

“See the mass of blue? Those are the flowers in the first window box. The others you can’t see are a lovely yellow, red and white.”

“Oh… Well, I think I’ll grab my jacket and come and have a look. You will not take my jacket away from me, will you?”

“Of course not. Would you like to have some coffee?”

“Yes, that sounds good. In fact, I think I can vaguely remember having been to that café once a long, long time ago.”

“It hasn’t changed much all these years, you know. I do like going there all the time. Very warm and quiet and peaceful. Here, let me help you with your jacket.”

”Ouch, I think I am getting a shoe bite. You see, I have not walked in these shoes for a long, long time.”

“It will bite a bit and then stop. Don’t worry. And the café is not far anyway.”

Small, unsure steps.

“You look a little bothered with the breeze whipping your hair about. Here, wear my cap.”

The fear subsides a bit. The ache in the heels ease a little.

“Roll down the sleeves of your jacket. That way you won’t feel too cold. And walk slowly so that your shoes don’t hurt you too much. We’re in no hurry.”

And so they walked down to the café for the much needed nourishment of body and soul.

No comments: